Sat, Feb
0 New Articles

Undated photo of detained Lodoe,39, a Tibetan Buddhist monk from Jonang monastery in Ngaba County, eastern Tibet. Photo: TDT

  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

Dharamshala — A Tibetan monk detained in June this year by Chinese police in Ngaba County of north-eastern Tibet has suddenly disappear after being taken into custody, with authorities refusing to provide details of his whereabouts or any charges made against him.

Lodoe, a Buddhist monk from the Jonang monastery in Dzamthang County (Ch: Rangtang, Aba Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan), Ngaba, north-eastern Tibet, was seized by Chinese police on June 14, 2016, while walking with friends to buy food in neighboring Barkham County, a Tibet source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“He was taken away in handcuffs without explanation and has been held in custody ever since,” TPI source said, citing contacts in the region. “His monastery and family and relatives have repeatedly asked the authorities for information about him, but have never received any answers,” the source said, adding that “three months later, his whereabouts remain unknown.”

Report of Lodoe’s detention was delayed in reaching outside contacts owing to communication blocks imposed by Chinese authorities in the County and the surrounding areas well. Lodoe, 36, is a native of Ngatoe Tsida village in Ngaba Dzamthang, the source continued, saying "his father’s name is Tsikthok and his mother’s name is Dzokre.”

“This is a very frustrating situation, and his family and relatives are deeply concerned about his welfare and current condition,” the same source stressed, saying the Chinese police is deliberately pursuing repressive policies in Tibet.

Another Tibetan monk, Gedun Dakpa, 39, from Thangkor Soktsang Monastery in Dzoege County of Ngaba County was reportedly arrested on August 24, 2016 from his monaster. The Chinese officials have stated that he was kept ‘under detention’ and being interrogated and questioned about the monastery’s finances and operating fund. However, nothing more has been heard about him since then,” another source said.

The source also added that his friends believe his accessing of news coming from outside Tibet through social media and messaging applications (WeChat) may have be the reason for his arrest. The monk’s family members have been since seeking more information on his whereabouts and his current physical condition. However, they have not been able to receive any further information of him.

In Tibet today, Tibetans are being arbitrarily arrested, imprisoned and tortured for merely expressing their suffering under Chinese rule. However, authorities in Beijing still claim that "China 'peacefully liberated' Tibet, and that the Tibetans are living in a "Maoist socialist paradise."

Tibet was invaded by Communist China, starting in 1949, Beijing calls a "peaceful liberation". Since that time, over 1.2 million out of 6 Tibetans have been killed, over 6000 monasteries have been destroyed— the acts of murder, rape and arbitrary imprisonment, torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment were inflicted on the Tibetans inside Tibet.

Add comment

We love comments and appreciate the time that our readers spend to share ideas and give feedback.

Security code

Advertise With Us. editor@tibetnewsonline.com
Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when latest news stories are available.